How To Easily Convert Word To Mobi Or Epub Files

Convert Word Doc To Epub Or Mobi

It’s very easy to learn how to convert Word to mobi and epub. But why do you need to convert your Word document?

Most ebook reading devices use the epub format. But the mobi ebook format, or Kindle book format, is the only file type that can be read on Kindle devices and Kindle apps.

Converting is the only way that you can check and make sure that you correctly formatted your Microsoft Word document for ebook reading.

You need to do this before you upload your manuscript to a self-publishing service such as Amazon KDP, Smashwords, or Draft2Digital.

How to prepare your manuscript

Converting and checking your Word document and ebook formatting on your Kindle, iPad, or PC is vital.

When you convert Word to Kindle mobi format, you can see if there are any formatting errors in your docx or doc file. It’s always better to do this before you publish your ebook and it goes on sale.

Poorly formatted ebooks are a sales killer. So you really should take the time to learn how to check your ebook well before you publish it.

But before you start converting Word docx to epub or mobi, make sure your Word document is correctly formatted using Word Styles.

Good formatting in your Word document will make your ebook look and read much better for your potential ebook readers.

The most important formatting element is to make sure you use Heading 2 for your chapter titles. By doing this, your table of contents will be automatically created in your ebook.

You should use Hearing 1 for your book title, and normal for your text.

Check for mistakes

You should also perform a thorough grammar and spell-check. Grammarly is highly recommended as a grammar correction tool.

But for authors, Prowritingaid is the preferred writing tool because it works so effectively when analyzing long documents such as a book manuscript.

Either tool will help ensure that your manuscript is as error-free as possible before you start proofreading your ebook.

Now you are ready to convert either Word doc to epub format, or Word docx or doc to mobi Kindle format.

Don’t worry if you are not technically minded.

The conversion process from Word to mobi or epub is very easy, and you don’t need any special computer skills at all.

How to convert a file from Word to mobi or epub file format

The first step is to download a free software program called Calibre. It is a free open source program available for both PC and Mac.

Calibre comes with many features which you can learn about later. But as Word to a mobi and epub converter, it is one of the easiest and quickest tools to use.

How to convert a file from Word to mobi or epub file with Calibre

Once you install Calibre, there are two basic ways you can add your Word file.

The easiest way is to use your Word docx file.

If your manuscript is in the old doc format, all you need to do is do a save as in docx. This will create a new copy of your manuscript that you can now use.

The second way is to save your Word document in .html.

To do this, click on “save as” and then select the file type as .htm.

If you know how to edit HTML, this is the best time to clean up your HTML file before file converting.

But if you are new to ebook creation, you should use the Word .docx file type. It is much quicker and easier to convert.

But remember, if your Word document is in doc format, simply do a “save as” in .docx before you upload your file to Calibre.

Preparing for the conversion from Word to mobi and epub

Once you have your Word docx file saved and ready, go to Calibre and click on ‘Add Book’ to select your book’s Word file.

How to add a Word file to Calibre to create ebooks

Once you see that your book file is added and listed on the main screen of Calibre, click on ‘Edit Metadata.’

How to edit metadata in Calibre for ebooks

This will take you to the edit screen. This is where you can add all the details about your book and also add your book cover image.

The Calibre edit screen to change details or book cover

Once you have added all your data and cover, click OK.

You will go back to the home screen. Now click on ‘Convert Books’ in the top menu.

Calibre file conversion screen with output options

In the top right corner of the screen, select the file type epub from the book formats list and then click ok.

Your book will now be converted from Word to epub and saved in your Calibre Library.

Repeat the convert books process if you wish to convert your book again from Word to mobi for Amazon Kindle.

You will then have both epub and mobi files in your Calibre library.

It is so easy to convert Word doc to mobi or epub, or from epub to mobi.

More reading: How to print an ebook

Read your Word file as a mobi ebook on Kindle or epub on iPad

Now go to your Calibre Library and copy your new mobi and epub book files. It’s a good idea to check your file size to make sure it isn’t too big.

You can then load them onto your e-reader, iPad, or Kindle. You can use Send to Kindle also.

Now you will be able to see exactly how your new book will look when you published it as an ebook.

You should carefully proofread your new ebook on your device or app to make sure everything is perfect.

If you find any formatting errors or other edits you want to make, go back to your Word file and make the corrections. Then you can convert your new updated Word file in Calibre to check again.

You can open your epub file by using Apple iBooks. For mobi, use your Kindle or the Kindle app for your iPad, iPhone, PC, or Mac.

You can also use the ebook reader in Calibre to read your ebook on-screen.

Only for Mac users

If you use Word on an Apple computer, there is a quick and easy way to convert your manuscript to epub with Apple Pages.

All you need to do is open your doc or docx file extensions with Pages. Then you can export it directly to epub.

How to use Apple Pages to export directly to epub

However, you cannot export to mobi format with Pages. But this is a simple way to prepare an epub copy of your ebook for beta readers or proofreaders.

Something went wrong!

What if you discover formatting errors in your new ebook files after converting Word to mobi or epub? It usually means that there are issues with your Word document.

If you can’t correct the errors, the solution is to take the nuclear approach.

You can find detailed instructions in our article on how to apply the nuclear solution to your Word document to solve these problems.

You should always convert your doc or docx manuscript from Word to epub or mobi before you publish.

Then you can check and be absolutely sure that your ebook readers will read a beautifully formatted Kindle or epub ebook.

A Cambridge CELTA English teacher and author with a passion for writing and all forms of publishing. My days are spent writing and blogging, as well as testing and taming new technology.

55 thoughts on “How To Easily Convert Word To Mobi Or Epub Files

September 27, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Hi: This very useful article made the uploading of a Mobi file easy. Just one question. Once you have the book, how can you send it to a Kindle file. I can’t find anyplace on the completed e-book. I like to furnish Mobis to book reviewers.

Thanks.

September 27, 2018 at 7:01 pm

All you need to do is locate your book’s mobi file in your Calibre library, and then you can send it via email.

September 2, 2018 at 12:15 am

Thank you for this article! Super easy to follow your instructions!

August 17, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Tried to use Calibre for editing to edit a epub document but is only useful for short documents, i.e. a few pages. I found the best way is to use Libre Office, no I am not advertising the software but you cam save to E Pub straight from word both doc and docx formats. Libre Office will open up MS Office files direct. Tried various other Office programmes but are not as good. You cannot edit the epub document in Libre Office but it does a good job converting it.
    Once converted it opens up in Calibres e read screen.
    Thanks for the great advice on converting to Mobi

May 31, 2018 at 10:56 am

Well, I solved the problem, to a certain degree. At least enough to satisfy my “90/10 Rule” (if you can fix 90% of the problem the easy way, then the 10% you have to do the hard way isn’t too bad). I thought that my problem was the incorrect conversions happened when the text was sent to the Kindle, but I found that they were in the docx file as well.

For example, a search (Ctl-F) for the equal sign (‘=’) would also find the incorrect apostrophes that showed up in the Kindle as an equal sign (i.e. don=t). So I could do a Search/Replace (Ctl-H) and change all equal signs to the correct apostrophe. Fortunately there is no math is my manuscript. The same was true of the incorrect closing quotation mark by searching for the AT sign (“@”) which I could change all at once.

The difficult one was the open quotation mark which changed to a capital A. I could search for the capital A but would find both the incorrect open quotation mark and the correct use of the capital A. This one I had to do one at a time. If the search found what appeared to be an open quotation mark I pressed “Replace” and if it was the capital A (such as “Atlanta”) I would pressed “Find Next”. I was trying to do it fast so sometimes I pressed the wrong command, changing “Always” to “lways. There weren’t many of these and the SpellChecker found most of them, which I could correct manually.

In any case the corrections were a lot easier than I thought that would be since I wouldn’t have to change each one manually.

I hope this helps someone.

May 29, 2018 at 1:26 pm

My manuscript is correctly formatted in MS Word. But Calibre has ignored the font selection. I have .jpg images placed as ‘Insert > Picture’, which are distorted in Calibre ebook view. Indents in the Word generated TOC are also ignored after the second level. How do I fix these problems?
    On the plus side, Calibre picked up the Properties in Word to fill in the meta data.

May 29, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Okay, Aparna. First of all, ebooks don’t use fonts. Fonts are selected by the reader. You can only format text to bold, italic, underlined etc. Use a standard font such as Times New Roman.

For images see this article. https://justpublishingadvice.com/how-to-add-images-to-an-ebook/ It is important to set your image In Line With Text.

As for TOC, use H1 headings for chapters and Calibre will create your TOC automatically.

May 29, 2018 at 11:21 am

I HATE WORD. I put that first for all the people who will not read any further.

After successfully sending a docx file to my Kindle over and over again as I edited the manuscript I turned to another document and it is a nightmare. Contractions appear as “don = t” and direct quotes as “AI hate [email protected]”. I have tried to replace the apostrophe and quotation marks by all the usual Find and Replace methods:

1. Replace typed in character with the same typed in character.
    2. Replace character with unicode
    3. Replace unicode with character
    4. Replace unicode with unicode

Nothing works, after Replace often finds as few as 53 characters, in a 50,000 word document. I’ve even tried replacing the incorrect character with a third character, like “*” and then replacing that with the correct character. The ONLY thing that works to go to each incorrect punctuation mark, manually deleting it and then typing in the new one. That is a LOT of punctuation to retype one at a time..

It’s like Word cannot tell the difference between the incorrect character and the correct one.

Before I settle into virtually retyping my novel one punctuation mark at a time, can anyone suggest a valid solution? Before I’m told, I have already tried copying to, or saving as text, rtf and html with no valid result.

Thanks and, I HATE WORD

May 29, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I sympathise with you, Marc. Word is hopeless at find and replace for punctuation. One of my old manuscripts had single quotation marks, and when I tried to replace with double, every apostrophe became a double quotation mark. Worse, all the quotation marks were opening and not open and close. My solution was the same as yours. Retype every single one. Sorry, I can’t give you a better solution.