If you ask some people how to become a writer and what it takes to become a professional one, the majority will say that you must have inborn literary talent. But what is talent? Congenital traits? To some extent, yes. However, just as the absolute hearing does not make the person a musician, as well as innate literary abilities won’t make the person one of those famous writers.
The role of talent when it comes to writing
Writing skills or rather the ability to express thoughts in writing are important but not the single skills you have to possess. Life experience, education, and other competencies play a significant role as well, if you want to learn how to start writing.
It is impossible to put on ice skates for the first time and win the Olympics. Similarly, publishing a book is impossible by simply sitting at the table and crafting a good book without prior experience and knowledge.
The importance of education
Many people think that if you read a lot, you are guaranteed will be able to write well. However, no one will learn how to play the piano after visiting someone else’s concert; no one will learn to draw after seeing the works of great artists. The same thing is true when it comes to literature: if you want to become a writer, you need to learn first how to do a thorough spell and grammar check before writing a book yourself.
Theory and practice
Just like any kind of art, literature is based on certain clear rules. Some writers learn them intuitively but for others it may take years until the same amount of information will be gained. However, you can obtain this information much faster through books on writing.
Doubtless, pure theory is not sufficient and you need to practice as well. We all start from the beginning: we learn letters and how to put words into sentences. Later, we move to more advanced concepts by trying the things we have learned in practical terms. The same should be with literature. Start with small and make your way to the top. As an example, you can start by writing a blog.
What is a success in literature?
The golden rule of success: each of your subsequent work should be better than the previous one. Eventually, you will reach the goal simply because you have not left the race. You can achieve this only on condition you work hard every day and you are inspired by what you do.
Survival in the literature world
The writer does not work for money or for the fame, as some funny reviews on Internet may suggest. They work because they love what they do. However, writing always takes a lot of time, and the writer has to deal with the eternal dilemma: if I make money, then there is no time for writing, and if I write and do not earn, who will feed the family?
What do you need to know as a novice writer?
Today the literary market is hectic: there are more books and writers than the market can accommodate. Therefore, it is incredibly difficult to stand out from the crowd. You will spend years writing the book of your life just to see it printed in three thousand copies and dissolved in the book flow. Due to this, having the iron nerves is the necessary quality for the writer or copywriter: otherwise, you will not survive. What is a copywriter? It is a person who writes articles on a variety of topics or completes some academic papers. By the way, you can pay for papers online and treat yourself as a writer as well.
It may seem that there is little happiness in getting your book published for a ridiculous sum of money. However, it is not easy for a beginner to break into the publishing world even if he has an excellent manuscript. The only thing that will help you is the knowledge of the publishing market.
The entrepreneurial skills are extremely important here. A manuscript is a commodity and you must be able to sell it and not only to the publisher but also to the reader. If you do not market your work, the chances are that your only readers will be bookstore owners along with several hundred random buyers.
Did you know that at the beginning of his career, Stephen King sent his short stories to the publishers and received an endless number of rejections? He hung them on a long nail, which soon could not accommodate all the rejections from the publishers. Afterwards, he had to drive a thick wooden rod into his wall, so that a stack of rejections could fit. Two years later, his small story went to print.
Would he have become a world-famous writer if not for his persistence? Unlikely.
Developing your writing skills: tips
1. The best way to develop your writing skills is through writing. A lot. For the writer, the key exercising technique is writing an essay. This is a short literary work, which acts as the basis for crafting big novels. As for the topic of your essay, it can be anything, really. The length of an essay can range from a couple sentences to several pages.
2. Do not lie. Write only the truth. It is hard to explain but you cannot lie in your writing, as otherwise, people will see the deception. We know that it is hard not to lie to yourself or to others. You should write as sincerely as possible, even if you are sincerely mistaken, it will be your truth.
3. Euphony. Your writing needs to be euphonious being appealing both to the external and internal hearing.
4. Do not chase inspiration. This word is so mainstream that it is simply embarrassing to use it. There is an objective reality, and to think that something will come to us out of the blue is senseless. We have a huge and powerful machine called imagination. If you use it, you will be able to come up with great things. What we mean is that you should ask yourself what questions do you ponder? What are you reading about? What are you dreaming about? How do you treat others or the world? The answers to these questions affect what and how you will write.
5. When producing some kind of writing, you must make a discovery. If you do not do it, you should throw the writing into the trash can. Learn something new for yourself even if it is everyday objects that you rediscover. If your copy is made of banality – throw it away.
6. Go beyond. Words in the text should be used so that you are beyond their ordinary meaning. Just like in poetry, familiar words ought to acquire new meanings and sounds.
Related reading: 350 Other Words For Said For Your Dialogue Writing