How many Kindle ebooks are there now?
Is your ebook lost in the crowd?
If it is, it is not hard to understand why when you realise just how many ebooks are published each year.
With so many platforms, retailers and of course, authors all fighting for a piece of the ebook market, it is difficult to know where to start in getting an ebook in front of potential book buyers.
To give some perspective here, a little over a year ago, I looked at the total number of ebooks that were available on Amazon Kindle at that time. Here is that result: Approximately 3.4 million.
Today, that total number has skyrocketed to nearly 4.8 million. That is a lot of ebooks!
To give some additional perspective to this number, Smashwords has an ebook catalogue of 386,782 ebooks as of today, which is a number that pales when compared to Kindle’s catalogue.
What chance does your ebook have in a market that is increasing by a million per year?
Surprisingly, your new ebook stands a good chance if you know what you are doing because so many of these new ebooks are published by authors who DO NOT know what they are doing. If you can put a tick next to the following 10 tips to get your ebook noticed, your chances of success will be better than you think, even in such a crowded market.
1. You have written a great book, and you have feedback from independent beta readers to prove that it really is a great book.
2. Your ebook is error free and has been well edited and meticulously proofread.
3. Your book is well formatted for ebook publishing and has an absolutely killer cover.
4. You have written three different and compelling book descriptions. (Yes, 3! Short, medium and long for different marketing uses.)
5. You have completed or updated your Amazon Author Central page, and enhanced your book descriptions with some HTML to improve your ebook page on Amazon.
6. You have received some book reviews. Even if you have not received any from buyers, you can add reviews you have from other sources using your Amazon Author Central page. (I know it’s a no-no, but if you have no reviews at all on your ebooks Amazon page, get some friends to help, or as a last resort, buy a couple to get things moving.)
7. You have active social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads and others to help get the word out.
8. Your blog very regularly and keep your readers entertained and informed. But you do not flog your book!
9. You have invested a small amount of money in online book marketing.
10. You published your new ebook using Amazon KDP Select to give your book a kickstart with free ebook promotions. After three months you will then decide whether to open publish or stick with Amazon only.
There are many other things you can do to help gain sales traction, but the above ten tips are the basics. Do these well, and you stand a good chance.
More reading: What Defines Good Books To Read For Real Book Buyers?